Balan Nair Thamodaran heads the firm’s Arbitration Department. He was admitted to the Malaysian Bar in 2005 and holds a Masters degree from Queen Mary University, London, specializing in Arbitration and Construction Law.
Balan is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, U.K. He has extensive experience and knowledge in standard forms of construction contracts commonly used in Malaysia, such as FIDIC, PWD 203A & 203, PWD Design & Build / Turnkey, PAM, IEM and CIDB. He also advises on construction and adjudication under the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012 (CIPAA). He is also familiar with various procedural rules used in arbitration such as UNCITRAL, KLRCA, ICC, SIAC and LCIA.
Balan is also an experienced civil and commercial litigator, having acted for various corporations and individuals, often as lead solicitor and counsel, in areas such as construction, employment, non-motor insurance, defamation and contractual disputes.
Areas of Practice:
- Construction Law
- Employment Law
- Land Law
- Insurance Law
Qualifications & Associations:
- LL.B (Hons.), University of London, U.K.
- LL.M (International Arbitration & Litigation), Queen Mary University, U.K.
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2005)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, U.K.
- Member of the Society of Construction Law, Malaysia.